Skip to main content

Guess the Heights: an Intro to Bivariate Data

While there are many introductions to this unit, I wanted to create something that was more fresh than the activities I have done in the past. Hence, I Googled. I found an activity similar this one, but it cost money. So, I spent about 30 minutes creating my own!

I have always avoided using the "Guess the Age" of celebrities since it changes yearly... but heights don't! Here is a link to my presentation; feel free to copy and edit according to your tastes and your students' interest.

I also forced a copy of this spreadsheet to my students. This way they could copy/paste their data into Desmos. This was pretty fun, I may want to add a couple more celebrities the next time I try it.

I also had everyone save their graphs in Desmos so that when the "Achieving Linearity" component of this unit popped up, everyone could choose their best fit model based on residual plots and numerical summaries. 

It was fun and little more updated than some past intro activities I've used. Plus, finding the heights of people is super easy!

~ssb
Bitmoji Image 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Calculus Hunger Games Review

I created this a couple of years ago when Hunger Games was really popular. However, I thought that I would share with all of you in case you wanted to use or revamp to something newer.  I created 12 groups for the 12 districts. They decided what their name would be as a district. They had tasks each day to accomplish. The tasks were just multiple choice questions centered around the major topics of Calculus AB. This took a lot longer than I thought - about 4 days. I was forced to give them more than 15 minutes for each task (which did not make me happy since the AP exam is timed - Oh well.) I had the time, and it worked out.  You can decide how you want to the points to work, I gave them 2 points for each correct answer. It was very easy to grade as this is the student worksheet. They placed the letter of the answer in each spot.  I made them show all work on another student sheet so that I could see what we needed to review.  Each day, I would post the new rankin

Adding & Subtracting Rational Expressions Drag & Drop

Because Math 3 now has drag & drop on the final exam, students need the practice. So, I created one using Google Slides. It went over really well!  While this only took the students about 40-45 minutes to complete, it took me about 2 days to create this activity. Oh well, at least it is cute! :) I used Google Drawings to create the scene and took a screenshot of the drawing to post as the background in Google Slides. This worked so that students could only move the answers.  I created this for an Honors class and one of the problems (#5 - the one pictured) really stumped the kiddos. I loved it! They kept thinking that x - 1 was not part of the common denominator...they didn't realize that they needed to simplify after subtracting. It really made them think!   When they were finished, they shared it with me! I really think that this helped the kids get more practice on drag & drop while working on adding and subtracting rational expressions!  Here is the ac

Exponential Growth & Decay Scavenger Hunt

Scavenger Hunts are always fun (and easy to grade). This particular one is all about applications of exponential growth & decay. My students seem to understand this topic really well, but I still wanted to provide more practice.  When I did this hunt originally, I created the cards with the answer on the front and the question on the back. Once I figured out how to copy and make it work, it was great because I could use the cards over and over again. However, they started looking old, and I lost some of the cards. So t his year, I placed the answer and question on the front. It made it so much easier to copy!  If you would like to try this in your class, here is a copy ! I included the solutions as well.  UPDATE: I created this activity and transformed into a remote version.  Remote Version: SE Scavenger Hunt               TE Scavenger Hunt ~RJ