Skip to main content

Plickers

I learned about Plickers a few years ago from a speaker that was presenting at Meredith College.  He was amazing, and I cannot remember his name (of course).  During his lecture, he mentioned Plickers and I (being the nerd I am) immediately Googled it.  It took me to a video that I watched with my colleagues- and I was hooked!  If you're interested, here is an extensive video that goes into detail of all that is Plickers.  

To skip the tutorial, I'll do a run down for you...

Plickers are basically "clickers" without the hassle of a tech guy.  Each student takes a card with a code on it and with answers either A, B, C, or D.  You pose your question to the class (either via slides or through the Plicker website) and the students hold up their answer choice while the teacher scans each code across the room.  Boom.  Just like that, you have 37 student responses in under 30 seconds.  Because this is a web-based tool, there is no need to download software that takes 58 people to approve (perhaps this is a slight exaggeration).  You do, however, need the app on your phone or tablet.  No worries, IT'S FREE 😁

I have the actual Plickers cards set up in folders at the front of the classroom and when it's time for the students to get theirs, I just let them know.  The process is very simple, yet so informative!

For my most recent activity, I wanted to get to know the students on the first day of school.  Therefore, I created a 10 question survey.  I wanted to keep it light so I asked fun questions like, "What color is your toothbrush?".  The answer choices were: green/blue, pink/red, yellow/orange, or I don't brush my teeth.  What did I learn?  One student was willing to tell the entire class that she doesn't brush her teeth in order to get a free piece of gum from a classmate.  It was very entertaining.  

I highly suggest using Plickers in your classroom.  You get instant feedback from them and the kiddos love the response time and analysis provided.  

I would recommend using Plickers for the following situations:

  • banking a set of survey questions in case you (ugh) finish a lesson too early
  • daily quizzes or exit slips
  • review for major assessments
  • PD- teachers like this too!
Good luck Plickering and staying informed of your students' progress!

~SSB



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Calculus Hunger Games Review

I created this a couple of years ago when Hunger Games was really popular. However, I thought that I would share with all of you in case you wanted to use or revamp to something newer.  I created 12 groups for the 12 districts. They decided what their name would be as a district. They had tasks each day to accomplish. The tasks were just multiple choice questions centered around the major topics of Calculus AB. This took a lot longer than I thought - about 4 days. I was forced to give them more than 15 minutes for each task (which did not make me happy since the AP exam is timed - Oh well.) I had the time, and it worked out.  You can decide how you want to the points to work, I gave them 2 points for each correct answer. It was very easy to grade as this is the student worksheet. They placed the letter of the answer in each spot.  I made them show all work on another student sheet so that I could see what we needed to review.  Each day, I would post the new rankin

Adding & Subtracting Rational Expressions Drag & Drop

Because Math 3 now has drag & drop on the final exam, students need the practice. So, I created one using Google Slides. It went over really well!  While this only took the students about 40-45 minutes to complete, it took me about 2 days to create this activity. Oh well, at least it is cute! :) I used Google Drawings to create the scene and took a screenshot of the drawing to post as the background in Google Slides. This worked so that students could only move the answers.  I created this for an Honors class and one of the problems (#5 - the one pictured) really stumped the kiddos. I loved it! They kept thinking that x - 1 was not part of the common denominator...they didn't realize that they needed to simplify after subtracting. It really made them think!   When they were finished, they shared it with me! I really think that this helped the kids get more practice on drag & drop while working on adding and subtracting rational expressions!  Here is the ac

Exponential Growth & Decay Scavenger Hunt

Scavenger Hunts are always fun (and easy to grade). This particular one is all about applications of exponential growth & decay. My students seem to understand this topic really well, but I still wanted to provide more practice.  When I did this hunt originally, I created the cards with the answer on the front and the question on the back. Once I figured out how to copy and make it work, it was great because I could use the cards over and over again. However, they started looking old, and I lost some of the cards. So t his year, I placed the answer and question on the front. It made it so much easier to copy!  If you would like to try this in your class, here is a copy ! I included the solutions as well.  UPDATE: I created this activity and transformed into a remote version.  Remote Version: SE Scavenger Hunt               TE Scavenger Hunt ~RJ